Tuesday, August 23, 2011

JDM Milestone

So this may sound like a "no big deal" for most people but for our family, this was a milestone that brought tears to my eyes last night. As most of you know, Allorah has Juvenile Dermatomyositis, which is an auto-immune disease that affects pretty much her entire body including her muscles and range of motion. If you have ever seen her, you will know how tiny and skinny she is, especially her arms. As long as she has been around in our little world, I have done her hair everyday. She is 12 and has the most hair on a person I have ever seen. Because she lost so much at one time because of the chemo shot that she is on, it grew back very course and frizzy, so much so that its impossible to let her hair down without me straightening it, curling it or putting it up. Her arm strength and weakness has prevented her from being able to straighten her own hair, as it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour for this process. She would attempt to but her arms would get too tired and she couldn't keep them held up above her shoulders that long and would ask me to finish the process. Well last night she walked out of her room with the most perfectly straightened hair!! ALL BY HERSELF!! I couldn't believe it, she did it, without any help from Jo or me! This is a huge accomplishment in the journey of JDM!!! Take that you stupid disease!!!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    That is the most wonderful news!! It brought tears to my eyes just thinking of how proud Lola was coming out of that room with her hair done.

    She is such a strong young lady!!!

    Love and Hugs,
    Susan and Dominic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with Susan! Tears and bumps!!
    I so remember when Kory could not do her hair (or teeth - or take her shirt off) (I also know how the meds have affected Kory's hair :(

    I know you are so happy for her!! We are thrilled to hear this for you both! Keep up the GREAT work! Much Love, The Taylors

    ReplyDelete